Located amidst the pristine evergreen and deciduous forests of the western ghats in India, Dandeli is one of the must-visit destinations for both adventure lovers as well as for those seeking solitude. There are a plethora of activities at Dandeli to keep you engaged. Here is a list of top 10 activities you must not miss while in Dandeli.
- Water Sports- Dandeli is more popular for its water activities. Go for white water rafting in the river Kali which offers rapids of level 2 to 4. After a tiring rafting trip, relax and get pampered in the natural Jacuzzi formed as the river Kali negotiates through the boulder-strewn terrain. Apart from these, the Kali adventure camp also offers many activities such as rappelling, rock climbing, aqua zorbing, kayaking, canoeing and coracle rides.
2. Wildlife Safari- the evergreen and deciduous forests of Dandeli are home to a huge variety of wildlife including tigers, leopards, black panthers, elephants, gaur, deer, antelopes, and bears. This is the only place in Asia where the black panther has been tracked.Go on a jeep safari into the forest to see the wildcats in their natural habitat.
3. Camping- Stay at one of the nature camps namely Kulgi nature camp or the Anshi nature camps. Listen to the stories of wildlife sighting from the workers in the camp.
4. Jungle trek- The forests of Dandeli have numerous trials marked for bird watch and timber study. Some of the trails even include passing through the valleys and gorges, crossing beautiful streams and climbing along the waterfalls.
5. Birdwatch- The virgin forests of Dandeli are home to over 300 species of birds. Stay in The Old magazines House or the Hornbill River Resort to increasing your chances to see a variety of birds.
6. Witness the magic as the sun sets beneath the mountain ranges in the Nagjhari valley from the Sykes point.
7. Spend time on the old bridge at Ganeshgudi to appreciate the vista during the golden hours – either after sunrise or before sunset. The view of the Supa dam from the bridge is a sight to behold. Look out for the birds trying to catch tiny fish in the river that flows beneath the bridge.
8. Go for a long ride in the road connecting Dandeli to Karwar which passes through the evergreen Anshi forest. The road meanders through such beautiful vegetation that one would wish the ride to last for an eternity.
9.Visit Syntheri rocks- a 300 ft monolithic of granite standing majestically on the banks of river Kaneri, a tributary of Kali. The river forms many crevices in the rock as it ferociously gushes through the terrain.
10. Spirituality- Dandeli has a lot to satiate your thirst for spirituality as well. Located around 50Kms from Dandeli in the Anshi forests, Ulavi is an important place of pilgrimage for the Lingayat community. It is here that the samadhi of the famous saint Channabasaveshwara is located. The Dandelappa temple in the town of Dandeli is one more famous temple. The limestone caves of Kavala formed ages ago by volcanic activities has a huge Stalagmite revered by local people as lord Shiva.
Read a detailed post about our experience in Dandeli here